Warm the Heart...Enliven the Senses...Inspire the Soul

Thursday, July 15, 2010

I am sitting here deciding on what to type and my mind ran across my kids. I have 3 adult kids, 2 girls and a boy. Wow, how the years have flown by. To think back on days when they were little, brings a smile to my face.

My oldest swore she would become a doctor to take care of children because she didn't want to have any of her own. She now has 6...never say never. She is the best mommy around. Her husband spent the last year in Kuwait while she ran a household with a 13 yr, 10 yr, 8 yr, 5 yr, 3 yr, and 8 month old. Whew...tired just typing it. She is always as calm and cool as a cucumber. I tip my hat off to her and if I could, I would give her "Mother of the Year" award. She is well deserving of this title.

My middle child...oh, what a child. I do so believe in birth order and personality. We call her position "middle child syndrome". I sure earned my motherhood with this one. She wasn't rebellious or anything, just always having something to prove. She has turned into a very professional and career-minded woman. She visited recently and during her stay needed to conduct a web conference for her job. While passing the guestroom, I could hear her on the phone. Not listening to the conversation per say, I was just amazed in the fashion in which she projected such a polished professionalism. I was in awe to say the least. What a proud mother hen I was, if just for that moment. This coming from a little girl that once said she was going to be a mechanic like her daddy when she grew up.

My last child, my baby, my son...sigh! I am reminded of an after school car ride. He was about 6 years of age. I glanced in the rear view mirror and noticed he was looking through the window, deep in thought. "What are you thinking", I asked. "Oh, just how beautiful God's world is." I was almost in tears. To be so little and so profound in thought. After living in our first home for about 15 years, we built a bigger home for our growing children. As the last box was being packed in the car, I paused for a minute to reflect on the years spent there. It was a sad day for me. Hands from a little 7 year old hugged me and spoke words of comfort, "Hold the memories in your heart forever." Talking about letting the flood gates open. He is now grown and making his own memories in life.

To all the Moms and Dads out there with little ones, I say, hold on tight. Not too tight that they cannot spread their wings but, enough so that you too can have memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment